Friday, April 23, 2010

Rest in Peace, Thumper

Jon, owner of Fast & Furless vegan emporium in Minneapolis, adopted Thumper, a Red Lake dog in 2007. Thumper was always at the store with Jon greeting people and I remember meeting her there.

I got the sad news on Tuesday from Karen that Thumper had passed away. Karen said, "We are sad to hear of her passing. She must have been about 12 years old."

It was Barbara who contacted Karen:
I'm sorry to tell you that Thumper crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.

After a difficult weekend, Jon took her to the vet first thing this a.m., and her heart was failing. He did the kind thing and I know she was grateful.

Jon took loving care of Thumper for the last 3 plus years, and she had a wonderful life with him, filled with visitors at the store, energetic walks in the neighborhood and a devoted companion in Jon.

She was the perfect shop dog -- she greeted each customer in a very polite way, and then left them alone to shop in peace.

She had a wonderful last quarter of her life and brought much joy to many people. I will light a candle for her tonight and for Jon, who is in great pain from this loss. xo.

Peace to all creatures, Barbara


I contacted Jon and he sent me the photo and a note:

Here is a picture of my pretty Thumper girl taken at my store. She came to work with me every day.

dear friends,

it's w/a heavy heart that i share the sad news that thumper died yesterday. her arthritis was getting worse, she wasn't eating much & then sunday morning she started convulsing. on monday morning, w/o an appointment, i rushed her to the vet as soon as they opened at 8a. she was dying of heart failure & had to be put to sleep. the vet was very kind & i held her until she was gone.

thumper was my first dog. she was very sweet & tears are falling on my keyboard as i type this. i miss her.

jon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Thumper must have had a most
wonderful and loving life with Jon.
We will not forget this little beauty. Thinking of you, Jon, and
thanking you for sharing your life
with such a loving companion.

mteacup said...

What a beautiful dog! Thank you for giving Thumper the best life!

pitbull friend said...

Oh, so sorry to hear this. I love Jon's store, and Thumper was the greatest store dog! I'm sure she had a lot of fun with her great dad.

Jo Tallchief said...

Thank you for giving Thumper such a loving home during her last years - I'll bet she didn't want to leave you, either. I think even if they're sick they'd rather hang on with the person they love, despite the pain they're in. I had one of my good mousing cats for 17 yrs and held him while the vet gave him one last injection. It's hard for us, but I'm sure it means a lot to them. The vet said, "You don't have to be here if you don't think you can make it through." I knew it would mean everything to him if I was there, tho - he loved me so. Probably still does! :) Thx again for everything you did for Thumper. I'm crying, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails