Thursday, June 19, 2014

Moonbeam's Journey


Traveling through the reservation I often saw a little black dog and a tan dog on or near the highway. I was always worried they would be hit by a car, so I was relieved when I saw them each time still alive. 


One day a call came asking Red Lake Rosie's Rescue to pick up a dog that they could no longer care for. Much to my surprise, it was the little black dog that was often on my mind. I named her Moonbeam, and it was evident that she was very pregnant. She looked like a little black blimp. Moonbeam came to the shelter and, thankfully, Jeanne of P.U.P. rescue stepped forward to take her on the transport of May 18th.


When I arrived at the shelter on the morning of May 17th, Moonbeam did not come up to the kennel door to greet me. Instead I heard little peeping noises coming from her enclosure. There she was with 7 little newborn puppies! I called them the 7 dwarfs- Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy and Dopey.


Moonbeam and her babies left the next morning for P.U.P. rescue. We got her in just the nick of time. Her little brown friend misses her, I am sure, but we are happy that we no longer have to worry about Moonbeam getting hit by a car. 


Unfortunately, the story takes a sad turn here, because one-by-one Moonbeam's puppies all died. The vet supposes that Moonbeam was exposed to distemper at some point causing this tragedy. Nothing could have been done to save them.


Fortunately, Moonbeam recovered her health, was spayed and she has found her family. We are happy for her bright future!

Sincerely, Karen RLRR 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails