Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Saint rescued on St. Valentine's Day

It took special negotiating on the part of one RLRR volunteer to gain possession of this dog. A special thanks to her for all she does for RLRR:

"Odin" is about a year old and has lived his whole life on a chain outside an empty house on the reservation. Last weekend, we were able to rescue him and bring him to the Cities. He is completely unsocialized and quite scared, but incredibly sweet.

He had never been indoors, so it was a challenge getting him in the house. He has to be carried! Bathing him was another rather difficult enterprise, since he had to be carried indoors, as well as upstairs. Luckily, for us, not him, he is very thin; so he's not at his full St. Bernard weight.

He has become best friends with Dove, another RLRR dog, and they play non-stop.

2 comments:

rilera said...

I'm so glad that you rescued this beautiful boy! I know the memories of his first year of life can now be erased. I'll never understand how anyone can keep a beautiful pet like this chained up outside, especially in a Minnesota winter or summer!

Anonymous said...

He looks so much better already! Thank you so much for rescuing him. He was my neighbor's dog and I had been feeding him. I first noticed him because of the empty house. I started noticing things too numerous for this small space and talking to Karen about him. Our efforts to rescue him were rebuffed in a big way but Karen wouldn't give up. One day in particular I remember that Odin was bleeding on his head, his brow in particular, and I was so upset. Now ... he just looks so much better. Thank you, thank you, thank you! ^_^ I don't understand some people, either. Some of us take very good care of our pets, and others ... well ... have a ways to go with that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails