Monday, October 25, 2010

Tale of Two Labs

KAREN SENT OUT THIS NOTE A FEW WEEKS AGO:
Every day at the August clinic in Redby, there were two labs standing outside the fence. These labs were hungry and very scared. Our compassionate volunteers put food out as the labs inched their way from outside the fence into the fence of the warehouse. Everyone was hoping we could catch them, but it never happened. You could get so close to them, then they would back away.

Well, the clinic ended and all the volunteers went their own way, many since have emailed and inquired about the two labs. On several occasions I dumped a bag of dog food at the warehouse, and only saw the two labs two times.

One day I made a visit to John and Elaine Little, two familiar faces at the clinic as they have 3 small dogs. They are a retired couple who live near the drive–in restaurant in Redby who love animals. While we visited they told me of two black labs they had been feeding. I was so happy. Carol brought them food and they continued to feed the labs.

Yesterday, I visited and left another bag of dog food. There I met Lady and Man, the two labs. They love John and Elaine. They follow John wherever he goes. They could hold them, pet them, and they never leave the yard. Lady and Man get along with the cats and the small dogs too. They are loyal and soft spirited.

John and Elaine say they would like to keep them, however, they cannot and are asking that someone take them at the next clinic. John said,” They love each other and they have to go together”. I assured him we would try and find a place where they could be together. They need to be vetted too.

Does anyone have any ideas about a rescue that might take Lady and Man when the clinic ends on October 16th?

The transformation of Lady and Man is remarkable. It is so great to know that these 2 homeless dogs won’t have to suffer through the winter looking for food. This story has made my day and hope it makes yours too!

Sincerely, Karen

FROM KAREN:
After our story of the two labs went out on email, Sandra Gilbert of Refuge Farms in Wisconsin sent us an email and wishes to adopt THEM BOTH!!! She previously adopted a german shepherd dog, Keller, from RLRR that had been poisoned and gave the blind dog 6 months of love and care.

She wrote this morning:

FROM SANDRA:
Karen -

Hoping this finds you well. It has been a while since Keller has crossed, but this year, his grave manifested him in lilies and alliums and an entire assortment of flowers.

His companion, Babee IV, the cat with kidney disease, has also since crossed and, as I promised them both, she is buried right on top of him. Her adoration is a yellow peony plant. It will take 2 - 3 years before the plant blooms, but such was their relationship. It took a while to develop, but once it did, the two were beautiful together.

These two labs - Man and Lady - Refuge Farms would be willing to adopt the two of them since we are now "dogless". We will give them a forever home. We will keep them together and they will be showered with tons of love and care.

I'll wait to hear from you. Thanks, Karen.

FROM KAREN:
Hi and here's more to the story on the two labs, LADY and MAN. Sandra Gilbert of Refuge Farms, was sent the "Tale of Two Labs" on my email on Sunday. Well- little did we know that Sandra just lost 2 beloved animals--and their names were LADDEE and LITTLE MAN. They are coming on OCTOBER 19 with Kristin Ripley to pick them up and transport to Wisconsin to their forever home.

Here's information I just got:

The fact that they are named Lady (and her horse Laddee just passed away) and Man (her chocolate lab Little Man passed away in March) made her decision pretty easy, I think!


Everyone was happy to hear this news!

FROM NANCY O:
Fantastic news! Keller found his heaven at Sandra's and I know these two sweeties will also find love, compassion, and a warm home for the remainder of their days. Thank you Karen and thank you Sandra.

FROM MARY S:
That is the best news I've had in a long time! I've thought about these two dogs ever since the last clinic and was trying to plan my next trip regarding them . . . May Peace Prevail On Earth!! Bless you!!

FROM CAROL P:
This is amazing! John and Elaine will be thrilled that they can stay together. The work that John has done in gaining the trust and love of these two labs is wonderful. I was at their house the day before Karen, and was so pleased with the change in these dogs. They are still a bit shy, but I was able to pet both of them. They were obviously so at home, laying in the yard together or being petted by John. They are also much better fed than when I saw them at the clinic. Thanks to John and Elaine, and to Refuge Farms.

FROM COLLEEN:
this is great news- and someplace for them go already
makes it twice as Sweet!!

FROM DANI:
This story made my day! I am so glad they are getting a second chance. What lucky dogs. Keep up the good work, everyone!

1 comment:

Jo_Tallchief said...

Thank you, Sandra! I fed these dogs when I saw them one time hanging around in front of Westbrook's store in Redby. I had a big bag of dog food in my car that Karen had given me. After that I'd see them running back and forth across the HIGHWAY. So disturbing. I was wondering why I hadn't seen them lately - now I know! This is awesome news!! Thank you everyone!! ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails