Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Time to winterize Red Lake Rosie's Rescue

Vicki Neumann, Lydija Tshumperlin and Bonnie Blue visited Red Lake Rosie's Rescue recently to help winterize the shelter before the real cold weather arrives. I believe it was the first visit to RLRR for all of them.
VICKI WROTE:
Hi Denise.  Karen gave us the assignment to write!  So we will "reply all" with our experience recap. :-)  Myself--I need a couple days to soak it in.  There are so many levels and such a depth that my thoughts and feelings are constantly changing.
Yes, we winterized the kennels--and we plan to do it again next year!  And hopefully will bring others!
Ever since I heard about Karen and her work I wanted to visit the rescue. The very first spay/neuter clinic I worked was at Redby--and it was A LOT of work!!! It changed me. Not only to see both good and heartbreaking animal situations, but to meet wonderful, dedicated, selfless volunteers.

When I was at a Leech Lake clinic earlier this year I talked to Karen and told her I was interested in coming to winterize the kennels. In October, I brought along a couple friends, Bonnie Blue and Lydija Tschumperlin to help.
We had beautiful weather the two days we were there. We tarped the kennel doors the first day. The second day we tarped a couple other areas and winterized the cat house by putting plastic and straw bales around the base.

The light, happy feeling I get when I'm at a dog park was with me while at Karen's. There were always dogs around! I loved that. They'd romp, play, and just want to be near. I was in heaven! There is something magnificent about being surrounded by all that dog energy.
When we arrived, one of the dogs already had a litter of pups. While we were there, another mama (Pepi) gave birth to a litter of seven, but only six made it. :-( 
I think we all ended up having our 'favorites.' They touched us and opened our hearts.

Karen amazes me. Besides being dedicated and committed, she is strength, kindness...and is relentless in maintaining the rescue and her never-ending flow of dogs and cats.

Bonnie, Lydija and I will be back again. How can you not, once you’ve been there?

We saw five eagles on our drive up. I knew it was going to be wonderful. And it was!






1 comment:

Nancy said...

THANK YOU so very much for helping Karen with some of the endless chores around RLRR. This is one of my most favorite places to hang out. Karen is such a loyal and devoted animal lover, and to work side by side with her is such a great honor. I have the utmost respect for Karen, realizing the many sacrifices she makes on behalf of the animals. She continues to inspire me. She is my personal hero, and I would do anything for her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails