Monday, August 15, 2011

Charlotte & Amelia

Stray Cat

by Francis Witham

Oh, what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you homeless to my gate?

The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter, warmth, and food
For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny.

While he, with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house the law.
He scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed.

He ruled in arrogance and pride
And broke my heart the day he died.

So if you really think, oh Cat,
I'd willingly relive all that
Because you come forlorn and thin
Well...don't just stand there...Come on in!


CHARLOTTECharlotte is a sweet, lovely gray and white tuxedo cat who arrived at Red Lake Rosie's Rescue with a belly full of kittens, ticks in her coat, and a BB in her butt. Well, the ticks were removed right away and she had the kittens just a couple of days after arriving at her foster home. The vets removed the BB when they did her spay surgery, but she has been waiting a year to find her new home. Mom cats often wait much longer than their kittens, which doesn't really seem fair. I named her after my favorite cousin and she is one of my favorite cats ever -- and I have known a lot of cats.

She is super friendly and calm, likes attention very much, but patiently waits for it at her busy foster home. She is ready to be the center of attention after her earlier hard life and rejection.

AMELIAAmelia is Charlotte's kitten, but full grown and over a year old now. She was named for the pilot and adventurer Amelia Earhart because, even though she was the tiniest kitten in her litter, she was always the first to try something new.

She is a gorgeous sleek short-hair dilute tortie with gray and cream and even a little white on her belly. She is leggy with angular features resembling the Oriental breed of cats – she must get that from Dad, she doesn’t look much like her mom Charlotte at all except for the gray. She loves the other cats in her foster home and LOVES to sit in your lap for petting. She is also a special favorite of mine. Everyone who comes to my house thinks they are great, too!

Amelia gets along really well with Charlotte and they would be a super pair or they could be adopted alone or to befriend another cat. See our website (www.redlakerosie.org) for more information about adopting them.

1 comment:

Jo Tallchief said...

Francis got game wit dat poem - he know how it is! I've had about 2 dozen cats so far in my life, all strays. Yes, some ppl like purebreds ... well, a cat always thinks it's a purebred, no matter what. ^_^ I can't tolerate a mouse in the house and they keep me livin happy! Thank you for this story and such a sweet poem!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails