Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Little Doug

Hi Denise,

I wanted to thank you again for transporting little Doug to the cities yesterday. We unfortunately had to let him go late this afternoon. The vets checked him out and reviewed the x-rays. One of the bullets was in his spinal cord and the other 2 were very close to his spinal cord. Because the bullet was in his spinal cord and where it was he would be paralyzed forever. He said that the slight movement we see in his rear area was reflex. His lower organs were also not working and he had no control of his bodily functions.

YUMMYHe is an absolutely sweetheart and I am just so glad he got to experience love for his last 2 days. Jenny and I spent time with him this afternoon ...he peed on me and pooped on Jenny :) He gave lots of kisses but it was apparent he would get frustrated because he couldn't get around. In his kennel he couldn't get up and move around to get to the water bowl.

GRASS TIMEi know in my gut it was the right decision but it certainly doesn't make it any easier. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you bringing him down to the cities and dropping him off at AHS last night. This morning Melissa (the animal care tech lead) gave him a bubble bath and the vet tech supervisor carried him around all day :) He was definitely loved. Jenny and I were both there with him when he crossed Rainbow Bridge ..

Marilou
President, MnPAW (Minnesota Partnership for Animal Welfare, www.mnpaw.org)
Board member and former President, Pet Haven Inc of Minnesota (www.pethavenMN.org)
Co-Founder, Leech Lake Legacy (http://leechlakelegacy.blogspot.com)


I would just like to add the Little Doug rode up front with me from Bemidji to Golden Valley in an open-top carrier so he got lots of pets and even some singing from me backed by the chorus of mewing kittens in the back seat.

He truly was a darling and was so tame and loving that it is clear someone cared for him before he was shot and left for dead. I hope that people will learn that there are options to avoid unwanted puppies and kittens -- free spay/neuter clinics are coming up both at Red Lake and Leech Lake.

Denise

2 comments:

Rachel @ Simple Girl said...

So sorry to hear you had to put him down. :(

ms clark said...

Thank you for giving him so much love. I'm glad that's the last thing he felt. I'm sorry that you had to put yourself through the loss, but I am so glad this sweet little puppy had you to help him.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails