Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tippy: Home for Christmas

It was in November, near Thanksgiving time, when we got a call that a little collie mix was dumped at an abandoned farm about 10 miles from Red Lake Rosie's Rescue off the reservation. Geri and I went to the farm and met the people who reported the little dog, a medium-sized, tri-colored, long-haired boy who was very frightened.

Thankfully, Geri succeeded in getting this boy, we named Tippy, into the crate and he was off to the shelter to join the other dogs.

Tippy never really fit in at the shelter and it seemed all the other dogs picked on him whenever they got a chance. Tippy basically had no friends at the shelter.

About a week passed and I got a call from a lady named Olive. She inquired about Tippy and said that she lived near the farm where he had been abandoned and she made regular trips there to bring him food. Olive said she and Tippy were friends and she would like to have him.

Olive had lost her dog of 16 years last year and lived on the farm and was lonely for a dog. I visited Olive and found a very nice country home far from the nearest road and thought that this was the perfect place for Tippy. Olive had already bought a bag of food for Tippy. Olive drives a car and is a very independent older lady.

I got Tippy neutered and vaccinated and then Olive called, she said "I have bad news, some people are telling me I cannot have Tippy because I will not be able to care for him". Well, I did not pressure her, but then she called again and asked about Tippy. I suggested she have a talk with her family at Christmas dinner, and tell them how she wanted Tippy and she intended to have him.

The next day- Olive called very joyfully and said Christmas dinner went very well. "I will take Tippy!" Before the day was over Tippy was with Olive.

In March, Lauren and I visited Olive and Tippy. We found Tippy had a new job- he was the "official watch dog" and let us know right away that he took his job very seriously.

So, Tippy and Olive make a great pair, and we are so happy for them.

Sincerely, Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! You go, Olive! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails