Thursday, February 16, 2012

Major finds a home

Patti, of Second Hand Dogs, who took Major (the Gentle Giant) from Red Lake Rosie's Rescue wrote recently, "Major went to a young couple from Iowa. I had quite a bit of interest in Major, but these people were the best choice in my opinion. They have a two year old daughter and although Major was a little unsure of her at first, he warmed up to her in the first couple of days. His temperament here was so good that I had a feeling he would be fine with small kids even though I hadn't had him around small kids. This is the first report of Major in his new home in Iowa."

Patti--
Thanks again for this opportunity. I don't think words can describe how much happier our family is already!

Major traveled home really well. He is so good on a leash! I even took him off it when we were on my front stoop and all he did was jump on the deck, walk to the edge and once I said "major", he came sprinting to come inside. He is so frantic to get back outside, but once he is out there he is a huge baby and won't leave your side.

The big shock is how well he and our daughter get along now. Just a little bit ago I tested the waters since they were both at my feet and I let my daughter cover up Major's head with her baby and pretty much climb on him. He didn't move, he didn't make a sound.

Once she was done he gave me a look like "really" but its obvious he loves the attention. He always lays right by her bed/couch that she has in our living room. Last night he slept on a rug in the kitchen, but we bought him a bed today so we will see where he sleeps.

He liked his brushing he got earlier today. He seems unsure of our yard since it is pretty much all snow or frozen snow, he prefers to walk on the sidewalk and road when he can. He hasn't chewed on anything yet, not even a treat or bone.

Thanks again,
S~, J~, K~, and Major

NOTE FROM KAREN:
Isn't he a big Ponemah beauty?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm sure that Major is a lovely and gentle dog, but allowing a toddler child to "basically climb on him" is a bad idea. I ask that Major's new family please teach their daughter to respect Major's space and body, for everyone's safety and happiness. Pet him, scratch him, etc. but don't climb on him.
Good luck to the new family!

pitbull friend said...

He IS beautiful! I hope they have many, many happy years together. But, as Kristen pointed out, don't let children climb on him. It's hard enough for adults sometimes to read a dog's body language. It can be even harder for children. Also, by not teaching a child to respect a dog's space, you increase the risk that the child will later do the same thing to another dog who does NOT like it. Please be safe so everyone will be happy and healthy!

mteacup said...

Some helpful info

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/kids-and-dogs-how-kids-should-and-should-not-interact-with-dogs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails