Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Angus is Oliver now

Surely you all remember Angus, the pup from Red Lake Rosie's Rescue in one of my favorite photos of all time:
I'm happy to share this update from the new family he found through Act V!

OLIVER (fka ANGUS)This is a picture of the puppy you knew as "Angus". He is Oliver to us. We got him from you when he was 8 weeks old. The picture is not the most recent nor the highest quality (a little grainy). However you can see what the little fuzzball is turning into.

He is now 5 1/2 months old, 40# and very well adjusted to people, kids and other dogs. He loves our grandchildren and plays very well with kids as small as 2-3 years. This attached picture is a month old and he is at a dog park in Plymouth, MN.

Right from the get-go he was surprisingly well-socialized with other dogs at the dog park. We took him there shortly after getting him to get him comfortable with dogs since he was an orphan and raised without a mother or siblings. You must have done an excellent job of instilling that in him because he became an instant hit with all the other dogs because he was an excellent playmate with other puppies and even big dogs. He enjoyed wrestling, chasing, being chased and meeting every dog he sees. He goes to the dog park 4-5 times per week if the weather allows.

He is now showing characteristics which look like Beagle/Collie cross with maybe some German Shepherd? I see the beagle in his body shape, legs and tail (also he has a beagle like "Yip"). The back fur coat and some markings look like German shepherd and the face and ears are becoming collie-like but without the long nose. When he was smaller I couldn't take him anywhere without complete strangers complimenting me about what a cute puppy that is. Now that he is less puppy like I get it less often but he is very handsome and well-marked.

His back and mane coat is very thick with a tan undercoat and a longer black outer-coat; causing him to get over-heated readily. His response to that is that he finds water wherever he can and he gets muddy or wet to cool off. He has become a very good swimmer and has intentionally jumped out of my fishing boat (in the middle of the lake) once to cool off. That was one of the indicators to me that he was hot. I used to think it was that he loves to swim, but I have learned it is his response to getting hot.

Before you think he is not being cared for I need to say our home is air- conditioned, he does stay inside, I do try to keep from exercising him in the heat, but he loves to play outside so I have to humor him and let him out for short intervals. I am still trying to find ways to let him get the exercise he needs and satisfy his desire to be outside and to be with me and not overheat.

He cries if I got out into the yard and don't take him and he likes to ride in my truck and in my boat. So, I am not torturing him by taking him out into the sun, I am trying to find out what works and hoping this horrible heat wave passes. He thinks I am torturing him because I don't let him be out more and I haven't taken him to the dog park recently because it has just been too hot.

Anyway, That's what Oliver is up to. We just love him. He is a great family member and well liked by relatives and neighbors. We wouldn't want him to be anything other than exactly what he is. I'll send pictures again which show a close-up of this handsome guy's face. Perhaps in a month or two to keep you posted.

T&S~


NOTE FROM DENISE: I suspect Oliver has some Husky in him and he's going to LOVE winter :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a handsome guy!!! He has
a regal look about him, and it sounds like he has the perfect
family. Thank you for loving this
little boy!

mteacup said...

Love him! What a great puppy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails