Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In honor of rescuer, Karen Good

Karen Good of Red Lake Rosie's Rescue is honored today for her selfless efforts on behalf of the animals of Red Lake Indian Reservation. As a volunteer selected as one the Eleven Who Care in 2011, she will attend a special event hosted by Thrivent Financial and Kare 11 this evening.

The recognition Karen appreciates most, of course, is the unspoken thanks from the hundreds of animals she has helped over the years. This poem was sent to Karen by a supporter and I thought today was the perfect day to share it.

THE REASON
(to you from the animals you have rescued)


CINNAMONI would've died that day if not for you.
I would've given up on life if not for your kind eyes.
JUSTINI would've used my teeth in fear if not for your gentle hands.
CINDERELLAI would have left this life believing that all humans don't care
LORNABelieving there is no such thing as fur that isn't matted,
skin that isn't flea bitten,
good food and enough of it,
beds to sleep on,
someone to love me,
to show me I deserve love just because I exist.
SURVIVORYour kind eyes, your loving smile, your gentle hands
Your big heart saved me...
WILLOWYou soothed away the memories of my old life.
KYRAYou have taught me what it means to be loved.
I have seen you do the same for other animals like me.
LUCYI have heard you ask yourself in times of despair
Why you do it-
When there is no more money, no more room, no more homes
PINKYYou open your heart a little bigger, stretch the money a little further
Make just a little more room...to save one more like me.
KIRAI tell you with the gratitude and love that shines in my eyes
MISTYIn the best way I know how
Reminding you why you go on trying.
ZORROI am the reason
CASEYThe animals before me are the reason
As are the ones who come after.
TINY PUPOur lives would've been wasted, our love never given
JUNEBUGWe would die if not for you.

Author unknown

WE LOVE YOU, KAREN!!If you are interested in learning the stories of any of these animals, just enter the name in the "Search this blog" box in the upper right corner of the screen and click on "Search" to retrieve a list of posts about them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful........thank you Karen,
the volunteers of RL, Geri, the medical teams who help the animals, the metro teams who give so much, volunteers, rescues, fosters, and Denise for keeping us all updated with the blog. You are appreciated more than words can say.....a huge thank you to you all!!!1

Jo Tallchief said...

I have never heard Karen ask why she does the rescues. I've heard her determination to keep on when she's sick, tired, it's 40 below zero outside and there's no money and no support (emotional, physical or monetary) from the community we serve. She's amazing - truly one in a million, and I'm so happy to hear that she's being honored. She should be sanctified, imo! ^_^ Love you, Karen! ~looking at rewards not here on earth, but far beyond~

care said...

Karen- great job and hoorah's to
Kare 11 to acknowledge an animal
caregiver.
Only those of us involved will ever
truly get how dire the situation is
for the animals up there and how
hard Karen works to make a difference. Thank you Karen and
thank you to all of the other volunteers in whatever capacity you can share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails