Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Middle child, mediator.

Very recently, I adopted out one of my foster kittens from Red Lake Rosie's Rescue. The adopting couple had had a pair of cats that were 14 and one passed away. The remaining cat was lonely, so they adopted a kitten thinking that a kitten would adjust most easily.

Well, kitten Aimee adjusted just fine, but her kitten energy was driving poor senior Jessie to distraction. They decided an intermediate cat was needed (BTW this is why we recommend adopting kittens in pairs). They fell in love with beautiful June with her long fur in the colors of autumn and her docile, if slightly haughty, attitude.

FIRST UPDATE:
I just thought I'd send you an update on June. We are going to call her "Mandy". I like name and think it fits her well.

Friday night and most of Saturday, she hid under the Lazy Boy chair in the office. We have set that up as her room for now with everything she needs and lots of blankets, pillows, kitty bed, etc.

Saturday night when we got home, we heard a loud Meow greeting us from her room so we went in and sat down. She came out to join us, and after several mintues, came up close enough to pet. We stayed in there with her for about 2 hours and she was rubbing up against us and we could pet her and rub her tummy and scratch her head.

She has been eating a bit and doing well. Today we were able to spend more time and she even lay down up against my leg and I was scratching her heard, rubbing her and she was purring and seemed very happy. She almost fell asleep.

She has seen the older kitty from a distance and met the little one from under the door. I was able to get some pictures today :) I think she is doing very well and I think this will work out great. She is a beautiful and sweet little girl.

SECOND UPDATE:
Mandy is doing really well. She and Aimee spend alot of time together playing and yesterday I saw Mandy go in the "crinkle tunnel" we have. Aimee loves it. It flashes red lights when they run through it and it has a hole on the side she loves to dive in. Yesterday I saw Mandy running through it a poking her head out the side. It was very cute :)
Latest word is that Mandy is a successful mediator. She leaves Jessie the senior cat alone, and plays with Aimee to burn off that kitten energy. Way to go!

I guess June was used to being the middle child with siblings April, May and July, August ;-)

1 comment:

Joan said...

So good to hear that worked out for all kitties.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails