Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Heidi's visit to RLRR extended by double blizzard

Heidi was our Santa volunteer at Petco. She looks great and the dog looks just a little bewildered.

HEIDI CLAUSHeidi just spend 5 days at RLRR as a volunteer. She arrived on Tuesday, December 28th and left January 1st. The visit was a little longer than had been planned as while she was visiting we got not one but 2 snowstorms!

Thankfully she was here to help with the job of shoveling roofs as we accumulated almost 16 inches of snow and the possibility of roof collapse was evident.

So- we shoveled roofs, and took care of kennels full of dogs, and cats. All the animal care gets twice as hard with large snowfalls.

Heidi was an excellent worker who could climb roofs as well as deal with all the work of the shelter very well.

While here she took care of Moose and Manny, two little surviving pups from a litter of 5 that were brought to the shelter. They had been found in a hole in the ground and had ingested straw. 3 died within 2 days of arrival and our dear Manny died last night on New Year's Eve. We were especially sad because Manny and Moose were scheduled to leave for Act V where they would have gotten help from Dr. Vickie.

After two storms, Heidi left on New Year's day with Calypso and Moose riding out to Act V.
CALYPSO SAYS GOODBYE
LITTLE MOOSE IN FOSTER CAREWe want to thank all the faithful volunteers who come and help at RLRR shelter. They have been a real blessing to the animals!!

Sincerely, Karen

PACMAN/PAXTON
Pac Man aka Paxton went to Animal Ark recently and is now in a foster home to adopt. He gets along well with the resident pitbull and they really like him.
Here's his happy pics. Pac Man always has a smile on his face.
Thank you Ark for taking this wonderful dog and getting him this great home!!

Karen

HEIDI'S COMMENTS ON PAC MAN/PAXTON
I am so glad you sent me this update on my buddy Paxton, aka Pacman.

Although I have been standing up for the animals forever. I have in the last chapter of my life become more directly involved. I have learned that animal rescue takes more than a big heart.

I only mention this because Paxton (Pacman) taught me many things about this. He taught me that it is not as easy as getting an animal off the street or out of a bad situation. Someone has to take responsibility for that animal. Someone has to take care of that animal while it waits for its forever home.

I now understand that sometimes no matter how much you want to do more sometimes you can only hope for the best, send your love and concern and walk away. I know this is not the story for Paxton, but I know his future was an unsure one at times. But also his success and happy ending teaches me another lesson; that sometimes when you feel it inside you just have to try and keep fighting, never give up.

Needless to say, I will remember this handsome boy always and forever. Even having spent little time in each others company, he has become a special boy in my heart. I am happy that I had a hand in giving him a kind of life that he, and all of them, deserve! I am greatful for all the things he has taught me and helped me realize about the animal rescue world.

Paxton’s new chapter is as wonderful a Christmas gift as anyone could hope for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an angel, Heidi. Thank you
for helping Karen with so many
projects......difficult ones during
the harsh winters. Thank you also
for helping the many animals in her
care and for your transport. You
are appreciated more than words can
say.

care said...

hey Heidi- damn nice santa suit!!!

mteacup said...

Love Heidi!!!

Hearts & Halos said...

I am so excited to hear about Pac! He and I had some great bonding time during our ride down to the metro. I am so lucky I was able to help him get to his new life. I still can't believe he fit in my front seat. What a nice dog. Thanks Heidi and Karen for all your hard work! -Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails