Monday, February 8, 2010

Elly: Healed and Happy

Think occasionally of the suffering
of which you spare yourself the sight.

-Albert Schweitzer


Mixed in with the Christmas mail to Red Lake Rosie's Rescue, we got a letter that amazed us. It made all the work and heartbreak of animal rescue somehow worthwhile and meaningful. I knew that together we are making a real difference!

A few years ago we found Haley/now Elly Mae, a truly "broken" rust-colored shepherd on the reservation with a severe grease burn that extended all across her back. It was very cold out and according to the vet, she had probably suffered several days with the 3rd degree burn before we got to her.

She had a litter of 2 surviving pups under a porch with no bedding at all. She was malnourished, in lots of pain, and VERY frightened when Polly and I dragged her out from under that porch that day in February.

The aftercare of the burn treatment was beyond what we could do at the shelter- so after a week, Pam of Pleading Paws came all the way to Bagley and took Haley, and a number of other dogs that had suffered injury, cruelty, and neglect.

A kind nurse fostered Haley/Ellie Mae and we never really knew what became of her --until now. She was adopted by a great family in Princeton. Please read her mom's letter and see her lovely pictures.

Thank you to each and every rescue group and to all the people who play a part in animal rescue work. This happy story is a reward for us all.

Sincerely, Karen and RLRR

FROM ADOPTER:
December 23, 2009
Dear Karen,

I just found your Red Lake Rosie Rescue website and had to write you. In the winter of 2006 you rescued a young mother dog, a golden shepherd mix, that had been severely burned with hot grease on much of her back.

In April of that year I was looking for a girlfriend for my Blue Heeler and found that dog on Pet Finder with Pleading Paws Rescue. They called her Haley, but we call her Elly May Clampett.

I was looking for a smaller dog, but something about her face kept me pushing the “back” button and I had to go meet her. As it turned out my friend who came with me knew her foster mom, they had worked together, both are nurses. Elly came right to me and laid her head on my lap and that was all it took, she had chosen me! She was still being treated daily for her burn so her foster mom taught me what to do. She was so good about it all.

My Blue Heeler, Buck, adores her. He was a bit overweight when she arrived so we’d tease him that he was lucky that she liked short, fat guys. It didn’t take long before she had run the weight off him and put on some much-needed weight of her own.

One of her ears was not erect so I taped it up for a few weeks and it has been up ever since. She was a bit afraid of my husband at first and now she prefers him, she will cry to be out in the garage with her dad. He is more attached to her than any dog we’ve ever had.

She is completely obedience trained; she learned everything by watching what Buck does. She is one of the smartest dogs we’ve ever had. Also she is the sweetest dog we’ve ever had, and you could almost believe that she is a real little girl! Every night she brings all 5 of her toys to me and puts them on my recliner, then she takes them back when she goes to bed, whatever that means?!

She has a wonderful home on a small farm near Princeton with her boyfriend Buck, 3 horses, a little field road that doubles as a doggie treadmill, that she and Buck love to race down twice a day, and two old people who love her very much. She gets to play with several grandkids and doggie friends that visit.

We are so glad you were able to save Elly and that she found her way to us. Thanks so much!

Our best to you, we hope you are able to help many dogs this year.

Sincerely,
KF~


DENISE SAYS: Tears anyone? Or, is it just me...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a miracle testimony what love and care can do for the most "broken" ---I have the utmost respect for the rescues, the fosters, and finally the adoptive parents who take on these ones who have suffred so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my ... yes the tears are flowing. She makes everything worthwhile.
Twyla

Anonymous said...

Thank you all, from the rescue to
Elly Mae's humans, for giving this
sweet girl such a wonderful, fun-loving, happy future. She deserved
it and you gave it to her. Thank
you.

mteacup said...

Just beautiful!

Jo Tallchief said...

No, Denise ... it's not just you. I try not to get teary eyed when reading stories, but - ha ha ha! Yeah. That usually lasts about 30 seconds. I'm so glad Elly Mae found a good home for herself. Thank YOU so much! That's just so awesome. I can't fathom how someone could do that to an animal. So glad Elly's now having a happy life. (I don't know, either, why she would do that with her toys - LOL.) :)

Anonymous said...

I remember riding with Pam to get Haley, Casey(who has since passed), and Sandy(a yellow lab cross who had her eye poked out). Haley was such a WONDERFUL girl! Tears FOR SURE!!! What a wonderful, happy ending!
Kuddos to everyone.

Celayne said...

What a beautiful GSD girl! I am glad she found a good life and has forgotten about her difficult past.

something clever said...

Oh my gosh, I was crying tears of pain seeing that poor girls before pictures. How could anyone do that to an animal?
When I see her after pictures it was all I could do to not sob outloud.
I love her name. One rescue cat of mine is actually named Jethro.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails