Friday, August 8, 2008

Recap of RAVS from Colleen

I would also like to thank Barb for all the work
she did for and before RAVS as well as all the folks
who took time to supply or support the event
in any way. It is monumental no matter which way
you look at it.


This year I had a chance to experience
the animal care end of things and even tho
"I animal care every day"- I was not mentally prepared for the volume of
labor involved in caring for about 50+ needy animals
on a daily basis. We seriously could have used
about 2 -3 more hands in that department each day.
I agree that the work sheets on top of the cage
were very valuable so in the chaos there was a string of
information on each "guest" we had- that could track
the meds and walks etc.

I will send out a recap sheet to the larger animal list
that I have so they can get a feel for the size of the
event and personal stories about the animals- I feel with
this connection we can install some volunteerism and
hope to increase the numbers next year-

I also- second the thank you to Crystal for dealing with
the incoming people. I tried it for one 1/2 hour shift
and threw in the towel. I did not have patience for it.

It was a pleasure to meet Benay and am happy that she
will be able to come up and help Karen out after her
surgeries.


I will give my one last observation- last year even from the
kitchen I was overwhelmed with the amount of drop offs
and "is Karen here"... people wanting to throw away litters
of animals. While there was still plenty of that- and I missed
the first few days- the overall numbers of that seemed to be
less- which if it continues- is the best indicator we have
that we are being successful.


On another note- it occurred
to me that I was also suffering from some degree of
desensitization. Although in no way- was I ignoring the
animals care- etc but when Shelby, Mindy and the 3 pups
came in- in the same condition that grandpa and the germ shep
pups came in last year- I recalled that I was enraged, angry
and in disbelief and this year - there was no
surprise- just a recognition that with some time and food
they would no doubt get past the hell of having been ignored
in Red Lake. And I started to think about how often we
ask how these people can just walk past all this and not
do anything- but if they have never seen anything else and
they don't have the mental resource to pull at
this is jsut part of the natural landscape. It is the
way it is.


On that note- I think it goes back to
education-


well- enough of that-
again thanks everyone- I'm still resting up
from the ordeal!

colleen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails