Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sharae Then


On my first trip to Red Lake, almost a year ago, my friend, M and I came home with a injured bald eagle and one tiny, motherless, homeless, adorable kitten. I teased the kitten that if she didn't behave she would be a snack for her traveling companion, but, of course, instead she came out of the kennel and made the trip on my lap. We named her Sharae Maria after Karen's young helper at the rescue, Sharae, and the daughter of our hosts in Bemidji, Maria.

The eagle had been found by a Native fisherman and he brought it to Karen. M and I delivered it to the Raptor Center, but unfortunately it was too badly injured to recover and had to be euthanized.

Sharae was the only surviving kitten after her mother and siblings died. I first saw her in a kennel in the living room of a Red Lake volunteer with dogs running all around. I took one look and said I would take her back with me. For months we worried about her health and her small stature. Was her belly too round? Were her legs too short? Was she a dwarf kitten??

Sharae Maria, joined my household for a while, but before long she moved over to my friend S's house when I had to go out of town for a weekend. Sharae kind of moved into hearts and home over there and hasn't returned to my house. I'll post an update on her!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails