Monday, December 23, 2013

Raphael's first Christmas!


UPDATE FROM FOSTER MOM:
Raphael 13-420 came into RAGOM (Retrieve A Golden Of Minnesota) a little over a week ago from Red Lake Rosie's Rescue as a stray found at a garbage site. He is slowly learning about how great life and toys are! He's still shy with people, but is developing into a wild man when he's around other dogs! Thank you for saving this sweet pup! We promise to find him a wonderful forever home!  Learn all about Raphael on the RAGOM website HERE.

12/20/2013:
Is this boy cute or what?! He cocks his head to the side whenever he hears a funny noise. Those ears of his have a mind of their own sometimes and they give him so much personality!

Raphael has two new requirements - a fence and another dog - in his forever home. As we have gotten to know him more, we see how he interacts with us with and without our dogs around. He is shy and reserved when they aren't around, but is a wild and happy puppy when they are. Our two resident dogs are teaching him how to trust us and about everything new to him (like living indoors). If my dogs aren't around, he would much rather hang out in his puppy pen than be out interacting with me and his environment. But, luckily, he is getting a lot better already and I think that with another confident dog for him to model after, he will grow up to be a happy and socialized dog.

Potty training is a work in progress, but I feel like he is doing a lot better! Most nights he can hold it all night, but he has cried a few nights around 3 am needing to go outside. He has had a few accidents during the day even though I let him out every hour or so when I'm home. I think he gets so busy playing outside that he sometimes forgets about what he needs to do when he goes outside! During the work day, I come home at lunch to let him out. He is in the puppy pen during the day, and I put down puppy pads down for him to use if he needs to. Some days he does use them, other days he doesn't have any accidents. I have a very easy schedule the next few weeks with the holidays, so it will be a great opportunity to work on his potty training.

Raphael was neutered today and got his rabies vaccine and distemper booster. He will need one more distemper booster in 3-4 weeks, then he will be good for that one for another year. He was quiet on the way home after his surgery, but he is feeling very comfortable and acts like nothing happened. He is not enjoying going on to potty on a leash or that I'm making him stay in the puppy pen to rest, but at least he doesn't have to wear the cone of shame (yet)!

We are working on training and he already knows how to sit for treats! He takes treats very nicely. I switched his food (he didn't like the Wellness puppy) to Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy and he loves it! He has gained 2 pounds in the past week. With proper nutrition, he has grown quite a bit taller, too!

If you are interested in Raphael, please contact your placement advisor! He is a very special puppy and he will make some lucky family very happy!






12/21/2013:
Dear Santa,

This is my very first Christmas! I have a stocking hung here next to the others. FM has been telling me all about the great things you brought Cadence, Finn and Vinnie last year. I’ve been a very good boy, even though I’m just a baby. I don’t chew on shoes, I don’t destroy anything in the house except for my toys, I try not to potty on the carpet, and I don’t fight with my foster brothers... well, except when we play fight!

I could ask for toys, treats, bones, or even a new bed. All of that would be nice, but there is just one thing that I want. Can you bring me my forever family? Please, Santa? I love it here, but I really want a family and home of my very own. I promise to love my family forever and always be a good boy.

Love always,
Raphael


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails