Friday, January 24, 2014

Smiles for Andrea

UPDATE FROM FOSTER HOME:
My name is Andrea. I’m a petite gentle German Shepherd/Husky mix, coming in at about 45#. Karen Good from Red Lake Rosie’s Rescue saved me from a garbage dump on the Red Lake Reservation. She thinks I’m about 10 months old now.
SAFETY ZONE UNDER THE TABLE
I got to move in with a foster family the week before Thanksgiving and am really coming into my own. At first I was so afraid of everything that I hid in my crate. My foster mom had to coax me out to go outside to go potty. I loved being outside so much that for the first few days they had to find me outside to bring me back in.

Being in a house was very scary for me. I just didn’t understand how great it was. Now that it’s so cold out I like being inside! I really really love people and want to be petted, but it is hard for me to trust people until I get to know them. After a couple days of sticking to my kennel, I decided it was safe to watch my foster family and their dogs from the safety zone under the dining room table. Since then, boy, have I decided life is good inside. I love to play with my 3 canine foster brothers. The absolute best thing in the world is rolling around in the snow; I just can’t get enough of it! I still sleep in a crate and stay there when my foster family is at work and school.
SOAKING UP SOME SUN
I am very smart and am learning quickly. I ‘come’ when called, understand ‘sit’ and ‘wait’. Walking on a leash still makes me nervous, but my foster mom got sick and hasn’t been able to work on that very much yet. We’re hoping to start working on that soon. I will walk on a leash, it just makes me super nervous. My foster mom tells me I’m smart and pretty and that I’ll get it. I respond very quickly to a quiet ‘no’ and am house trained! I do like to chew on socks and one time thought a shoe was one of my toys. I was so sorry that I haven’t done it since. The more comfortable I get, the more I play with toys, the other dogs and my foster family, although my foster dad is very tall and I still run away if he stands up, but I do go to him for loving when he is sitting down.
I CROSS MY LEGS LIKE A LADY WHEN I LAY DOWN
I would love to be in a house as an only dog or with male dogs. Because I grew up in a dump, the other female dogs at the shelter were pretty mean to me so I’m very afraid of them. I’d also prefer not to be with small children. While I’m learning that I am safe now and don’t have to be on guard, I do get startled easily.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails