Monday, July 27, 2009

Gracie's good life

Dear Denise: A Happy Story for a sad little girl. She had a puppy
stuck in her, so was surrendered. 2 puppies were born alive and both died. :( Anyway- look at Gracie now!! Karen

GRACIE (MISHKWA) BEFOREHow Gracie was adopted:

So let me tell you Gracie's story - I reluctantly adopted her on Easter Sunday, not because I don't love animals, but because I love them too much. I had 2 dogs since I was in my 20's and lost the last one in my mid 40's at the age of 18+, my heart was broken.

My sister, among others, knew my heart was empty, so in her networking she met a women who fostered animals from the Red Lake Rescue. She kept sending me photos encouraging me to adopt one, but I couldn't get myself to go. The joke was I wanted a pocket puppy so it could go on an airplane.

One day I got yet another photo. I had not much of a reaction, but the dog was going to be blocks from where I was going to be on Easter Sunday... I thought, well, I'll go see, but they have a bunch of people lined up to meet her, so no big deal if I don't adopt her.

On Easter Sunday, the entire family is at my sister's house. We pack up the car (3 sisters, a niece and a boyfriend) to go meet this little mutt. I told everyone, I am not ready for another dog, so this little girl will have to tell me that "I am her mommy" before I take her home.

We drive up and everyone runs up to see the puppies, but I reluctantly walk behind because I am not sure I am ready for this.....little Gracie, or "Mishkwa" her original name, runs right past everyone to jump on me to claim her mom.... At least that's what they tell me; everything was a blur to me and was in slow motion.

I look to my significant other hoping he'd give me my out since he wanted a bigger dog. I said "what do you think" hoping he'd say "I'd wait to see if there is a better match especially being so many are waiting to meet her", but he didn't say any such thing. He said "you have to take her". So Gracie moved to Victoria on Easter Sunday.

I thought I'd save her life and the reality is she saved MINE.

If there is a void in your life - these furry little friends will fill that hole ten fold!!!!! Adopt an animal or support the rescues like Red Lake Rescue..........you will never regret it!


I thought you'd get a kick out of some of our photos of our little girl Gracie.My niece likes to dress her up & Gracie loves her....Gracie has gone boating, camping, road trips, she loves riding in the convertible and oh how people stare....:)
Gracie's birthday celebration!
She gets cuter every day...and everyone loves her. There is a waiting list of people who want to baby-sit....can you believe that one!!!
WE LOVE HER MORE EVERY DAY!!! (B kisses her good-bye every morning)
P.S. don't tell Gracie but once we are more settled she "may" get a little sister.....
Best Regards
S

1 comment:

rilera said...

This story is priceless

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails